How to Spot Fake Sterling Silver Jewellry: The Definitive Guide

When you think of sterling Silver Jewellery Online, images of delicate rings, necklaces and earrings probably come to mind. Sterling silver is almost always used in high-end jewelry because it’s so beautiful and looks expensive. Unfortunately, not everyone is willing to spend a small fortune on one piece of jewelry. That’s why there are people who sell fake sterling silver items as real ones. How do you know if the item you’re looking at is genuine or not? You can read this definitive guide to learn all about spotting fake sterling silver jewelry, its identifying features and tips for buying authentic pieces.

What is fake sterling silver?

The term “fake” is a bit harsh when describing items made from non-authentic materials, but it’s a good way to describe the situation. Sterling silver is an alloy that’s about 92.5% pure silver. The remaining 7.5% is usually made up of one or more metals. The most common materials used are copper, nickel and zinc. Just because a piece of jewelry is made of sterling silver doesn’t mean it’s authentic. A lot of jewelry is plated with silver or has a coating of silver-coloured paint. This type of jewelry is made from base metals like brass or nickel. It’s not the same quality as pure sterling silver and won’t last as long.

Look for the mark: 925

One of the easiest ways to tell if you’ve got a fake piece of jewelry is by checking the mark stamped on it. If a piece of jewelry is authentic, it will have a mark of 925. This stands for 92.5%, the percentage of silver in the alloy. If the piece of jewelry you’re looking at has a different mark, it’s probably fake. Some fakes are marked with 800, which is 80% silver. This means that the alloy only contains 80% silver, which is too low to be real. There’s also 999, which has 99.9% silver.

Silver Jewellery Online

Examine the weight

The weight of the jewelry item can be a good indicator of authenticity. Real silver jewelry usually has a higher density than brass or nickel. This means that the item will feel a bit heavier than other types of jewelry. You don’t always have to have a scale handy to check the weight of an item. You can simply feel it in your hand. Real silver jewelry feels a bit heavier than fake silver jewelry. If you have a friend with a scale, you can always check the weight of the item yourself. It’s important to note that some pieces of silver jewelry are hollow, so they’ll feel lighter than a solid piece.

Seeing is believing

You can tell a lot about the quality of an item just by looking at it. Fake silver jewelry is often made with lower-quality copper. It’s often a darker color. Real silver, on the other hand, is a lighter shade of silver because it contains other metals that add to its color. Fakes are often plated with a silver-coloured coating that peels off with regular wear and tears. Real pieces of silver jewelry are made with high-quality silver that’s meant to last.

Fake sterling silver jewelry is a serious problem, especially online. You should always be careful when buying jewelry, especially from unverified sellers. If you know what to look for, spotting fake Silver Jewellery Online is easy. Just make sure to check the mark stamped on the item, its weight and color. If you see any of these signs, you might have a fake piece. Now that you know what to look for, you should be able to spot fake sterling silver jewelry with ease. You’ll be able to buy authentic pieces that will last you a lifetime.

Written by Orange Blog

Double Glazing Windows

Core Reasons Why Double Glazing Windows Are a Must-Have

5 Busting the Myths about Palliative Care